This practical course is aimed at the experienced GPN or HCA already working within Primary Care leg ulcer and /or wound care arena. The focus will be to understand and support good practice by sharing new ideas and current thinking.
We will explore:
- Doppler update/ABPI- What the new National Strategy will mean for ABPI and Compression and its significance. When and why to do it, use of automated machines, who should do the doppler, when to compress, unreliable results.
- Compression update- New national guidelines, compression without ABPI, the Red Flags, how to choose compression, when to Doppler and who can help, what happens with DVT, chronic oedema, heart failure issues etc.
- Wound care update – formulary update, new products, wound biofilm/infection management, new core documents on antibiotics in wound care and leg ulcers.
This practical course will include workshops, exploring the latest key points on the subjects with reference to national guidelines. Practical ideas/skills for wound care/compression products will be discussed, sharing hints and tips and experiences via the practical demonstrations and written guidance.
Please note this course is not a core competency as attendees should already be competent. The Certificate of Attendance can be added to your learning achievement portfolio and personnel record.
Resources, core documents and support via email will be available from the trainer post study day.
The practitioner will be able to:
- Incorporate relevant new learning and evidence into practice regarding Leg Ulcer and Wound Care and be able to access and utilise the new core guidance.
- Understand and discuss how the changes can be used in primary care especially with ‘compression without ABPI’ initially.
- Gain confidence in identifying a pathway for leg ulcer management on discovery of lower limb trauma.
- Increased awareness of the products on the wound care formulary, its actions and guidance for use.