This one-day course is designed for all grades of staff whose role requires them to obtain venous blood samples. The session is run by a venepuncture specialist trainer who sits on the board of the National Association of Phlebotomy (NAP) and is the author of the competency manual that you will receive on the training day.
The course will cover the theoretical and practical aspects of venepuncture, including demonstration and practice on training arms. The delegate will need to identify an assessor within the workplace to supervise practice and support achieving competence. All delegates will receive an excellent resource manual and individual workbook to evidence the competencies and provide assurance of high standard training for career development.
By the end of the session all attendees should be able to:
- Obtain a basic venous blood sample under appropriate supervision.
- Perform phlebotomy to the National Occupational Standards CHS132.2012
- Demonstrate safe practice reducing the potential for sample errors and needle stick injury.
- Health & Safety / current legislation
- Equipment including:
- Vacuum systems
- Winged collection sets
- Blood sample tubes
- Order of Draw when obtaining samples
- Pre-analytical errors
- Technique including:
- Locating difficult veins
- Problem solving
- Storage and Transportation of samples
- Blood Cultures & Aseptic Technique
Refreshments will be provided to include lunch. Please advise us of any dietary requirements when booking the course.